Thursday, May 23, 2013

Summer Protective Styling

When I was younger, one of my favorite things about summer was my mom let me get braids in my hair. Whether they were box braids, crochet braids, cornrows, pixie braids; it didn't matter to me, I was just excited to get my hair braided. Then summer end came, time for school again and I had to take my braids out. It was sad, yes, but the plus side was I got to see my hair growth. My hair was always significantly longer.

Protective styling did that! Of course, I never thought of it that way. But my mother (who was a licensed hair beautician before she was a teacher) knew best! Giving my hair a rest from the ponies and pig-tails and barrettes allowed my hair to grow and strengthen over the three months of summer. I love my mom...
Anyway, looking back on a time in my life where my hair was at its healthiest, I am going to adopt this method for my current natural hair journey.

Protective styling all summer long! Three months of box braids, marley twist, faux buns, and more!
This will benefit my hair in the above mentioned ways, health and length retention. But also it will benefit my lifestyle. I'm all about the quick and easy. So even though it may take a few hours to install some styles, they will allow little to no time when styling each day.

So I'm looking forward to styling for the summer! If you have any ideas or style suggestions, let me know.
Stay tuned for my first SPS: Summer Protective Style!


Nicole Charnel


No comments:

Post a Comment